Sunday, April 27, 2014

The hills - up or down


Today was my last long run, and while I didn't run as long as I wanted to, I ran on a track that was very hilly compared to my usual runs. I realized I hate steep hills (I mean, really, who doesn't?!) and I kinda loved downhill running (surprise surprise!). I did discover, however, that steep inclines are so much better than gradual inclines. I like pain in phases - not continual pain. I was extremely winded for most of this run, but in the end it felt good. While feeling good or bad was one thing, the effect on the body was another. Uphill climbs are supposed to be good for you and downhill runs mess up your knees. The feel-good things are worse for you and the pain is better - go figure.

I couldn't help but wonder about which one I'd prefer. If you think of hills as challenges that you face in life, would you rather be facing one painfully head on or run with an easy solution? Well, we all know what the "right" answer is but we never really do what is "right". It is a matter of convenience, ego, and pride most of the time. Often we forget that the uphill climb leads to a better view, a stronger body, and a run worth the pain and that a easy downhill run could provide instant gratification of speed and accomplishment, but it doesn't last too long.

Similar to choosing schools for your MBA or choosing classes within your MBA program - the pain now will pay off in the future. Tepper is a challenging program and the first year hits most students painfully, but at the end of the day the pain is well worth it. I was hesitant when I was evaluating programs and debating (I didn't debate for long) whether to come to Tepper, but now the view from the top has just been gorgeous making me look forward to my next uphill climb.

Bottom Line: Run up the hills (even if you are short of breath 99.9% of the time)

No comments: