Saturday, April 19, 2014

Slow and steady

Made some progress in getting closer to my pre-race 10 mile goal yesterday, although getting there is looking like it might not happen considering my ankle is acting up. I might have to rest longer in order to make the race (and not break my foot in the process).  I was thinking about how difficult it is to maintain your pace, especially in the company of others who are running at different paces. This is something I'll have to face on race day. Listening to music has helped me maintain my own rhythm recently, and I'm glad my playlist is slowly developing.

Business school, classes, projects, work have very many similarities when you think about pace. We all have our own pace of understanding, of learning, of performing, and it is important to identify that and try to improve it, but not get caught up in trying to catch up with others. My first year back at business school was rough because I was always playing catch up - until I decided not to. It takes away a lot of the stress and just makes you comfortable with where you are. It was quite the same at work - I can kill myself day in and day out trying to outpace others (and maybe myself), but is it really sustainable?

As people are going into their internships with high hopes of a full time offer and trying to prove to the company that they are indeed a good hire, I'd implore them to stay at their normal pace. That is the expectation you want to set to your future employer - that you can fit in doing your best at your pace, not at theirs. I've heard of a lot of interns killing themselves during their internships to make a good impression, but what happens when you get a full time job? Can you keep killing yourself for years to come? Food for thought.

Bottom Line: Continuous improvement is a must, but know your pace and improve at your pace; not at that of others.

No comments: