Saturday, April 26, 2014

Fear of Missing Out

Ever since I've started running (seriously), I've had to make some tough calls on all the socializing that MBA student life entails. I can barely stay up past midnight, and I avoid coffee, alcohol, or anything that dehydrates me. And I need a good night's sleep. That rules out quite a few outings, and it is especially difficult when it is the last few days of your time with all your classmates and friends and you are hobbling around after a long 7 mile run. It has been a true test of my will power because I always have this fear of missing out (also a syndrome that Facebook encourages and also something that almost every MBA student goes through). Then again, other outings that do fit into the schedule and fit the no drinking, no late night requirements become more important. My goal of finishing this half marathon is fueled by some influential people in my life, and in-person or not, they somehow keep me accountable.

Business school means that there is way too much going on all the time and so how do you pick and choose what you want to do and what you don't want to do? While I believe that you always should do what you want to do, there are times when you should go to at least one outing that you wouldn't normally go to. I have to remind myself time and again, however, to focus on the "now", the "present" that I am in and not what I am missing out on elsewhere. It is especially difficult to not miss out on something when your family is away - birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, last days - and as sucky as that is, I've made my peace by resolving to give my all to the reason that I am missing out on something else. If I am skipping a class to sleep, then I sleep well, if I am foregoing a trip for a case competition, then I'll make the case competition fun. I'm only here today once. Tomorrow is tomorrow.

Bottom Line: Now matters most, tomorrow matters a good amount, yesterday is just gone and matters more to our journal than to us.

No comments: