Thursday, May 1, 2014

The MBA Marathon

I was part of a webinar series here at Tepper where our wonderful admissions office organizes a webinar with a few second year students to give a sneak peek into a Tepper MBA student's second year life. Although this was not the first webinar, it was the last day of official class for me and it finally hit me that this whole journey has been a marathon of sorts. There have been good times and there have been times when I have doubted if I could get through the craziness. It is funny that my race is timed to right before graduation - such similar journeys coming to an end at the same time.

I compare the process of searching for and applying to business schools as training for a race in some way - I tried various ways to keep myself motivated (oh the long essays!, kept researching, kept trying to run more (better GMAT score anyone?) and farther, and eventually committed by registering for the half marathon (yay Tepper - it was a classmate and a very good friend of mine that made me commit by having me agree to pay him $500 if I don't run). I have no idea how the race is going to be like but all I know is that I will get through it and I will have a blast doing it. I am nervous, I am excited - all at the same time. Again, emotions that mirror how I felt when I first walked up the stairs toward Posner Hall to get my CMU ID.

Looking back on the two years, it has been a marathon well worth the pain - the friends I've made, the experiences that I've  had here, and the wealth of knowledge and love that I am taking with me, has made this the best two years of my life.

Bottom Line: MBA degree is a two year marathon - painful, fun, but well worth the effort!

No comments: